pages

Friday 30 August 2013

Watch, O Lord...

and with a majority of just 13, the UK will not take part in what would have been an illegal military intervention.  And yet some intervention needs to be made in Syria - but what, how, when, and by whom?  I feel so helpless in the face of institutions such as the UN seemingly unable to act, I despair at the hawks circling round - more like vultures - in various Western governments, who seem itching for a fight.  Regardless of whether and what kind of intervention occurs. or does not, in Syria the overall scenario is a grim lose-lose situation.  The use of chemical weapons on one's own people to retain power - represhensible.
In the face of unspeakable acts and appalling suffering, feeling numb, and having no earthly idea of what the best way forward would be, I turn to my old friend Augustine, and offer up the words of his prayer this evening:
Watch, O Lord, with those who wake, or watch, or weep tonight,
and give Your Angels and Saints charge over those who sleep.
Tend Your sick ones, O Lord Christ.
Rest Your weary ones.
Bless Your dying ones.
Soothe Your suffering ones.
Pity Your afflicted ones.
Shield Your joyous ones.
And all for Your love's sake.
Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nik - I've just come upon your interesting and colourful blog through reading a comment of yours on 'Cuthbert in Edinburgh'. I look forward to dropping by 'a pilgrim's progress' and having a read from time to time.

I've been a Christian for over 31 years and now find myself a survivor activist and campaigner in mental health matters. Up to my neck in it. Although I had explored a call to the Auxiliary Ministry with CofS in 2008. Didn't get through so went back to working in the church of psychiatry.

All the best, Chrys

Nik said...

Hi Chrys - thanks for dropping by the blog.